John Thompson manufactures boiler components/equipment at our Works in Isando and Sacks Circle in Bellville, Cape Town.
• The Proposals Engineer will be responsible for all aspects of costing and tender preparation of potential projects for the Utility Boiler and Environmental Business Unit.
• The successful candidate will report to the Proposals Manager of the business unit.
• The candidate must have in depth knowledge of utility power plant layouts, operation and maintenance requirements.
• It is essential that the incumbent has knowledge of labour production standards, costs of labour, plant and equipment associated with utility power plants.
• The incumbent must have at least five years of associated experience with utility power plants.
• The position requires experience in the field of tender estimates and preparation, cost analysis and a good knowledge of industry contracting terms and conditions.
Qualifications and Experience
• Minimum a National Diploma in Mechanical Engineering.
• A BSc Engineering degree or B Tech Engineering qualification would be an advantage.
• Proven experience in estimating in the power industry and the management of estimating processes in a utility power station environment.
• Previous management of construction or maintenance processes of power plants is highly recommended.
• Advanced computer literacy including planning packages such as MS Projects.
• Proven managerial skills including the management of human resources.
• Knowledge of techniques for scheduling.
• Knowledge of change management.
• Strong business acumen and commercial expedience.
• Outstanding communication and negotiation skills.
• Initiative, drive and the ability to work under pressure, handling several projects simultaneously.
• Team player, who can take the lead when necessary.
The successful candidate will spend most of the time in the Isando office and will regularly travel to construction sites.
Applications accompanied by a letter, indicating position applied for and a current CV and certified certificates may be forwarded for the HR Officer attention, e-mail to the HR Officer