REF : 30042020SuZ
Salary package (Professional Nurse
Grade 1 R256 905 – R297 825 plus benefits (OSD salary levels - DPSA)
Grade 2 R315 963 – R362 865 plus benefits (OSD salary levels - DPSA)
Salary package (Professional Nurse
Grade 1 R383 226 – R444 276 plus benefits (OSD salary levels - DPSA)
Grade 2 R471 333 – R579 696 plus benefits (OSD salary levels - DPSA)
Reporting structure Operational Manager
SUMMARY OF MAIN FUNCTIONS AND PURPOSE OF JOB
The Theatre Nurse provides family-centred care to the paediatrician population. The Nurse is responsible for
developing a plan of care within the theatre department, particularly for patients receiving general anaesthetic and
undergoing surgery. The Nurse is a vital member of the interprofessional health care team and assumes a key role in
clinical nursing practice and provision care.
LIST OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Provides the patient a safe environment utilizing enhanced critical thinking skills and incorporating the
hospital/departmental resources available.
• Promotes and facilitates a safe and therapeutic environment for the provision of care.
• Uses existing guidelines, policies, procedures and clinical pathways to guide practice with minimal support.
• Aware of family centred care philosophies and develops plans of care in collaboration with the family incorporating their needs, values and beliefs.
• Demonstrates respect for diversity of family, team members and the community in race, culture, beliefs practices, etc.
• Document all nursing and patient interventions in the appropriate hospital record.
• Actively participates with team members in coordinating care related to patient flow and patient services to ensure continuity of care throughout the ambulatory and diagnostic modalities.
• Responsible for the preparation, induction and recovery of patients and providing patient care throughout the anaesthetic continuum.
• Provide detailed patient assessments of children requiring care throughout theatre modalities by outlining the benefits and risks with the interpersonal team prior to commencing a case.
• Provide anaesthetist support for the completion of the specific diagnostic and interventional radiological
• Ensure that controlled records are kept in accordance with hospital policies and procedures.
• Implement pain management strategies, using the face, legs, activity, cry and cons lability (FLACC) pain scale.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• Must have a Degree/Diploma in Nursing Science.
• To have a post- basic qualification in theatre.
• Be registered with South African Nursing Council.
• A minimum of 5 years’ experience working in an Operating Theatre setting.
• Previous exposure to theatre will be advantageous.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, TRAINING AND COMPETENCIES REQUIRED
• Has knowledge and skill to administer medication, including contrast, for procedure in Theatre,
understanding the risks and side effects associated with it.
• Demonstrates the knowledge, application of infection prevention and control practices.
• Facilitates the implementation of program, organisational and professional standards
• Upholds standard for providing quality patient care by promoting best care practice always.
• Empower patient and families through education and knowledge sharing.
• Promotes supportive, collaborative environment for all staff using a team approach
• Provides coaching and development of all health care professionals.
• Continually seeks out continuing education opportunities for personal and professional growth.
• Identifies and follows up on opportunities for continuous quality improvement activities and implementing
• Adhere to NMCH medical waste management principles and all other waste management principles.
• Adhere to occupational health and safety principles
• Maintain patient confidentiality.
Interested candidates who meet the above criteria are requested to e-mail a detailed CV to Suzan
Please note that should you not hear from us within 2 weeks of your application, it would
mean that your application has been unsuccessful.